From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2017 - 14:43:24 CDT

Hi Stefan,
  Okay, that's useful information. The GeForce 4xx and 5xx GPUs (Fermi generation hardware)
are no longer supported by current versions of CUDA or OptiX, so the only way to make a new
build of VMD that runs on them is to compile against old versions of CUDA. If you expect these
machines to be taken out of service soon, then it may not be worth the trouble to compile a
special VMD build for them, but if you think they'll be used for another year or more, then
it might be useful to have a new VMD build for them. While I have already set the VMD 1.9.4
build scripts to use the current versions of CUDA, etc, you could in principle still compile
it for older toolkit versions. If you're interested in doing this, let me know. If you think
these machines will go away soon, then I wouldn't worry about it much. If you wanted to
recompile just the VMD webpdb plugin, that would let the most common web-based PDB download
work for you. I can tell you how to do that (or do it for you) and it's much less of a
time/effort investment than recompiling all of VMD and its associated dependencies.

Best,