From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 17 2016 - 02:42:26 CST

Hi John:
Thanks for your answer. Sorry that you found my messages confusing. I
wanted to say that I have two linux boxes at the same router, both running
Debian GNU Linux amd 64 v8 jessie (stable). The box with two GPUs/CUDA,
Xfce graphical interface, installed vmd-1.9.3 without any modification to
scripts, i.e., no rlwrap problem. The simpler box, without GPUs, gnome3
graphical interface, reported rlwrap issues, as follows

francesco_at_tya64:~$ which vmd
> /usr/local/bin/vmd
> francesco_at_tya64:~$ vmd
> rlwrap: No match.
> francesco_at_tya64:~$

I have now applied your suggestions (hopefully correctly), i.e., in
> uncompressed/untarred /vmd-1.9.3/bin/vmd.sh (as requested superuser)
>
> # detect if we have rlwrap available to have commandline editing
> ## case $MACHARCH in
> ## *Linux*)
> ## if hash rlwrap 2>/dev/null
> ## then
> ## if [ -f "${MASTERVMDDIR}/vmd_completion.dat" ]
> ## then
> ## vmdprefixcmd="rlwrap -C vmd -c -b(){}[],&^%#;|\\ -f
> ${MASTERVMDDIR}/vmd_completion.dat "
> ## else
> ## vmdprefixcmd="rlwrap -C vmd -c -b(){}[],&^%#;|\\ "
> ## fi
> ## else
> ## vmdprefixcmd=""
> ## fi
> ## ;;
> ##
> ## *)
> ## vmdprefixcmd=""
> ## ;;
> ## esac
> vmdprefixcmd=""

Then, as user, I run ./configure. Then, from /src, as superuser, I run
<make install>, getting the vmd executable in /usr/local/bin and vmd
directory in /usr/local/lib. Same rlwrap issues as before (even after
rebooting)

francesco_at_tya64:~$ which vmd
> /usr/local/bin/vmd
> francesco_at_tya64:~$ vmd
> rlwrap: No match.
> francesco_at_tya64:~$

I assume not to have followed your indications correctly and therefore I
apologized for wasting your time.

Sincerely

francesco pietra