From: Stefan Boresch (stefan_at_mdy.univie.ac.at)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2016 - 06:31:30 CST

Some more info ...

I retried (on the same machine) with another (mostly virgin) account,
and there the dropdown boxes work.

Thus, it seems that some 'cruft' in one of the zillion '.*' files of
my main account interfere with the correct operation of the
interface. I already (temporarily) disabled my .bashrc/.profile files,
as well as .vmdrc (which works around the stupid /usr/temp issue), but
no success.

The only other difference between the two accounts is that the working
one has a local home directory, whereas the failing one has a NFS mounted
/home dir ..

Helpful pointers appreciated, thanks!

Stefan