From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2016 - 01:42:14 CST

Hi,
  Sorry for the delayed reply, I was out of town and I'm still catching
up on a large pile of emails in my inbox.

The MacOS X builds of VMD don't currently support the SpaceNavigator due
to the way the Mac drivers interact with applications (as of the last time
I checked their SDK). It is useful to know that you have it working with
Blender, as it is conceivable that they have found a way around the
same issue that prevented me from implementing it in VMD originally,
or at least I would have another implementation to compare against.
That being said, this is something that won't be dealt with until
a subsequent release after VMD 1.9.3, so I appreciate your patience.