From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2016 - 00:24:53 CST

Hi,
  The VMD builds from that era used the MacOS-provided file browser, and
the changes in behavior you're describing are due to the way Apple has
modified their browser from one operating system version to the next.
To start out with, I would suggest that you should try one of the much more
recent VMD versions unless there's some specific reason that you're running
the old version you have now.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/