From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2016 - 10:05:05 CDT

Hi,
  It wasn't clear to me if in Francesca's case she was modifying bonds
prior to the selection. So long as the VMD structure analysis is
up-to-date at the time the selection is done (e.g. if one would change
any bonds interactively or the like, you would have to do a "mol reanalyze"),
then the "fragment" selection Axel suggests would be faster than the
"withinbonds" suggestion I gave earlier. The "withinbonds" selection
has to walk the bondlist during selection, whereas "fragment" does not,
so "fragment" would be much faster if you're not modifying anything in the
structure.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/