From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2016 - 01:30:04 CDT

After making either VMD Main->Display->ResetView or in terminal "display
resetview" the axis are actually aligned. Later you can use "rotate" from
terminal to rotate the view by specific degrees.

You might also be interested in VMD Main->Display->Orthographic which is
suited better for such purposes than the perspective view.

Norman Geist