From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2016 - 21:53:46 CDT

Hi,
  When you load the structure, VMD will print out how many protein
fragments it finds. If VMD is unable to identify your chains as
protein fragments, e.g. due to unrecognized atom or residue names,
then the various cartoon representations will not work because
they specifically target protein fragments. The nomenclature VMD
is expecting for the proteins is derived from protein data bank
atom and residue naming conventions, so if Modeler did something
else, that would explain the issue. If you read the mailing list
archive and/or tutorials you will find that you can rename atoms quite
easily, and then cause VMD to reanalyze the structure, and to save out
new structure files if necessary.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/