From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 20 2016 - 16:00:59 CST

Hi,
  The use of stereo when the composite extension is on is prohibited
by the underlying video driver, VMD is just reporting what the driver says
when VMD asks for stereo.... The driver limitation (that the composite
extension ends up disabling stereo) is documented in the NVIDIA driver
READMEs, and the latest drivers provide a simple command line flag for
nvidia-xconfig to disable or enable the composite extension:
  http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/361.18/README/xcompositeextension.html

Here is the key text from the NVIDIA README:
  "Workstation overlays, stereo visuals, and the unified back buffer (UBB)
   are incompatible with Composite. These features will be automatically
   disabled when Composite is detected."

When you start the X11 server, you'll see warning messages
about stereo being disabled in the X11 server logs, in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

As far as I know there is no way around this. I'm not sure why KDE
cannot be run without the composite extension, but if you care about
using stereoscopic display modes, it might be time to switch from KDE to a
different desktop manager.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/