From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 05 2015 - 10:57:17 CDT

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Ebert Maximilian <m.ebert_at_umontreal.ca>
wrote:

> Thanks Axel for your clarification. So what are those 3 values/properties
> calculated at each grid point. I now that each line represents a certain

​you didn't read my email properly. there are not 3 values per point, but
*one* value per grid point, representing whatever property that you have
computed at the location of that grid point or representing the voxel. as i
already mentioned, the fact that you have 3 numbers per line has *NO*
significance at all. count the number of lines/points and compare to the
number of grid points that you *should* have as indicated in the header of
the dx file. it will only work, if you have one data element per grid
point. the dx format makes no distinction between a blank and a newline.

> place/grid point in my system. So the 3D coordinate is taken by the row
> and the information about origin and grid size. But the three
> values/properties computed what are they? How can I imagine it? having for
> instance grid point 0,0,0 having value 85,75,15. What is the meaning of 85,
> 75 and 15 and position 0,0,0?

​such grid maps are usually visualized as isosurfaces or colormaps
projected on a cut plane through the ​volume.

axel.