From: Cheri M Turman (Cheri.M.Turman_at_uth.tmc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 14:24:14 CST

Hello all,
I am having strange problems. I hope someone out there can shed some
light on these. My first install of VMD left me with the errors seen
below and unable to use RMSD. RMSD did not even show up under the
extensions menu. I was able to use tkcon, though. This was all running
version 1.8.1. Most things worked but I wanted to try to make RMSD work
so I tried altering vmdinit.tcl but got no good results. Finally, I
tried upgrading to version 1.8.2. The first install I couldn't get
tkcon or rmsd to function. I tried installing to a different place and
still no luck. I went throught this, always modifying bashrc and
sourcing it, a couple more times. This last install for some reason
allows both tkcon and rmsd to work but I still get the error messages as
below. Nothing has changed! Why or how could this happen? I am in the
process of getting a new computer and I am worried that this might
happen again so I would like to prevent it. I would also just like to
know out of curiosity.
Cheers,
Cheri Turman

thinktank:~/Desktop/vmd$ ./vmd_LINUX
Info) VMD for LINUX, version 1.8.2 (December 4, 2003)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
Info) OpenGL renderer: Mesa GLX Indirect
Info) Features: RN MTX
Info) Textures: 2-D (2048x2048), 3-D (0x0x0), Multitexture (2)
ERROR) VMDDIR undefined, startup failure likely.
ERROR) Could not read the vmd initialization file -
ERROR) source {/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/vmdinit.tcl}
ERROR)
ERROR) The VMDDIR environment variable is set by the startup
ERROR) script and should point to the top of the VMD hierarchy.
ERROR) VMD will continue with limited functionality.
vmd >

   Cheri M. Turman
   Graduate Student
   University of Texas-Houston Medical School
    6431 Fannin
    Houston, TX 77030 USA

    e-mail: cheri.m.turman_at_uth.tmc.edu
    Ph.: 713-500-6126