From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 15 2015 - 11:24:28 CDT

Hi,
  This refers to the first part of the filename that will be generated as the
NAMDEnergy plugin runs its calculations. The default is "namd", but you could
change it to "foo" or something else, it just needs to be something you're not
already using. You should also ensure that your current working directory is a
directory that is writeable.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/