From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 21 2015 - 15:32:33 CDT

Hi,
  Have a look at the VMD-CPMD tutorials written by Axel Kohlmeyer,
they contain some great examples of how to draw arrows and other
geometry for whatever custom visualization purposes you have in mind:
  https://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/redirect

Unfortunately, any scheme you might use to calculate
velocities "after the fact" is doomed to be incorrect, since
trajectories typically skip timesteps and subtracting positions
will not restore the correct velocity information. For this reason,
velocity informatino must normally be written to trajectory files
at simulation time.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/