From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 16 2015 - 11:33:02 CDT

Hi,
  This sounds to me like some kind of graphics driver problem,
particularly since you get stuck after a cold boot. If you
press the ESC key at the stuck boot screen, can you determine where
in the system boot the hang is occuring? The ESC key should cause
the graphical boot logo to be replaced by the log of the startup sequence.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/