From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 09 2015 - 16:33:37 CDT

Hi,
  The simplistic SASA algorithm currently implemented in VMD uses monte carlo
sampling to estimate the accessible surface area. It takes a finite
number of samples (I forget, but the default is something like 50,000
samples if you don't specify a larger count) and so if you have a
big structure or you're unlucky, you might need to crank up the sample
count to improve its self-consistency. 1/50,000 error not far below
what you're showing there, so it would only take a few more of the random
samples to switch from "miss" to "hit" and that would account for the
difference you see.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/