From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2014 - 15:30:09 CST

Albert,
  That is very helpful to know, in case anyone else runs into similar
issues in the future. It would seem that the unusual part of your
system is the 'optimus' driver. I have to admit that up to now
I've never run Linux on a laptop or desktop that used the optimus type
configuration, so none of those errors you were getting were familiar to me.
Thanks for summarizing to VMD-L about your solution.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/