From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2014 - 10:29:43 CDT

Norman,
  Do you get a particular error message? I wouldn't expect it to matter
if you're redirecting X to a remote display, at least in the OptiX code
paths I'm actually using. I have run OptiX renderings with no display,
e.g. with VMD using "-dispdev text" without any problems, so I'm puzzled
why the remote display would matter. When you're remote displaying, does
VMD identify the CUDA devices in the machine correctly? I assume you have
also tested this same machine and when running to a local display it
works fine?

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/