From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2014 - 08:34:40 CDT

Tristan,
  If you're running Tachyon external to VMD, you need to be sure
to use the -trans_vmd flag, otherwise it uses a different shading
algorithm for transparent objects. It wasn't clear from your email
how you were running it, but it would be helpful if you completely
specified what you had previously tried (all flags, etc). Also,
which version of VMD are you running?

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/