From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2014 - 10:11:46 CDT

Hi,
  Can you cut/paste in the startup text that VMD prints when you run
it on your machine? Most likely this is some kind of issue with the
graphics driver on your system. I'm most interested in these sorts
of information in particular:

Info) OpenGL renderer: GeForce GTX 285/PCIe/SSE2
Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(4) MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVFG)
Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (8192x8192), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (4)

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/