From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2014 - 10:59:23 CDT

Are you using Surf or Quicksurf? I remember Surf occasionally failing to
render anything with certain atomselections in certain configurations.
Quicksurf is much better in that regard, which is why I haven't used
Surf or MSMS since Quicksurf was introduced. Another potential problem
is clipping. Computer graphics are complicated, in that you have to make
a decision as to where the viewer is positioned. In order to not have a
cluttered view, VMD by default won't draw (clips) any element that is
too close to the viewer (you can change this in the display settings).
-Josh Vermaas