From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2014 - 13:19:31 CDT

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Brian Radak <radak004_at_umn.edu> wrote:
> I am using the VolumeSlice and Volume drawing/coloring methods to highlight
> cross sections of gridded data in addition to coloring multiple (6)
> isosurfaces. I found the tabs for mucking with the color scale under the
> "Graphics/Colors" menu, but all of the available scales use three colors
> (for example BWR).
>
> Would it be possible to create a color scale that coincides more with the
> shading of the isosurfaces? I prefer the heat map-like blue-lt
> blue-green-yellow-orange-red (I just used nearest ColorID approximates
> here), but I could potentially be dissuaded.
>
> In any event I expect this requires some Tcl scripting, but I don't know
> what types of things to look at in my visualization state file (I can
> adequately modify Tcl but am rather abysmal at writing it).

you need a bit more than just editing a state file, but there are
examples you can use. this topic has been discussed on this mailing
list before. check this out, particularly the attached tcl file
towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/19313.html

axel