From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2014 - 11:43:31 CDT

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Darrell Kuykendall <darrellk_at_me.com> wrote:
> I see, thanks! I’m not used to an isosurface being used in this way (shows you what I know about it!).

this is mostly a result of this feature utilizing facilities that were
added to VMD for other purposes.
as john pointed out, improvements are underway, and while they are
desirable, they are not always high priority.

i have been asking for be able to do leopard skin orbitals for years. ;-)
unfortunately, i don't have the expertise to implement this myself. :-(