From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2014 - 00:40:31 CDT

Hi Charles,

please notice that VMD uses STRIDE to determine the secondary structure,
which is using both, hydrogen bonds and torsion angles unlike other tools
that only use the torsions. So if your structure doesn't show the required
hydrogen bonds you may not see any secondary structure or if the angles
aren't exact, a wrong type of helical structure. Also, if you watch per
frame secondary structure of a trajectory you will often see helices
changing from alpha to 3-10 and back temporarily. Please also notice, that
VMD will call STRIDE only once when 1st selected a drawing method like :
Cartoon or Ribbons or if one chooses coloring method: Secondary Structure
and only for the current animation frame. So to get updated SS info for
multiple frames, you might want to have a look at the "sscache" tcl script.

Norman Geist.