From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2014 - 10:01:15 CST

Olaf,
  This is a solution I like much better than the previously discussed
scheme based solely on environment variables. I may decide to implement it
within the VMD source code rather than in a startup script, but your patch
is a useful prototype and we'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/