From: Charles McAnany (vmdnamd_at_charlesmcanany.com)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2014 - 13:29:41 CST

Friends,

I'm in the market for a new computer, and I'm pretty much sold on a Eurocom
Panther laptop. I am looking at the GPU options, and I'd like to get your
opinions on whether I should go:
4GB Quadro K5000M, 1344 CUDA ($1405)
or
SLI; 8GB; 2x4GB GTX 780M, 1536 CUDA ($890)

The internet seems to think that the high-end cards are only worth the cost
with CAD and 'professional' applications, but not for gaming. I'm not sure
where VMD falls in the spectrum of 'professionality' of its GPU usage.

Also, for quick NAMD+CUDA runs, I presume the latter option would be
better, but I don't have any better argument than "1536 > 1344".

Can anyone share their experience in this regard?

Cheers,
Charles McAnany,
Graduate student, University of Virginia, Mura Lab.