From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2014 - 11:00:25 CST

Hi,
  There are likely two ways you can resolve this.
One way would be to move your "VMD 1.9.1.app" out of
the Disk Image volume it's in now (which is read-only),
to some location that you have write access to, whether in your
home directory or otherwise. Another way of solving this would
be to get the heatmapper plugin to write its files to another
location, but as we didn't develop this tool, I'll have to direct
you to ask the authors, whom I'm going to CC and hope that they
can give you further guidance on adjusting the behavior of the
heatmapper plugin.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/