From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2013 - 13:30:02 CDT

Hi,
  The POV-Ray export in VMD doesn't support 3-D volumetric textures
currently. I believe that only the latest versions of POV-Ray have the
necessary support to enable this, but we haven't had a chance to implement
it yet. That said the two existing Tacyon-based rendering modes, named
"Tachyon" and "TachyonInternal", both support volumetric texturing and
will do what you want. The Tachyon ray tracer is better optimized for
the needs of VMD, and is substantially faster than POV-Ray.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/