From: Tristan Croll (tristan.croll_at_qut.edu.au)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2013 - 15:27:25 CDT

I've faced the same problem in the past. Since it's only VMD (and not NAMD) that does not yet properly handle long atom types, there's a simple solution if all you want to do is neutralize: straight after solvation, run a brief simulation and and search for the line containing "CHARGE" in the log file. Once you've got that, kill the simulation (you do NOT want to keep the trajectory of a non-neutralized system!) and calculate manually the number of ions needed to neutralize (and reach your desired concentration if you wish).

Tristan Croll
Lecturer
Faculty of Science and Technology
Institute of Health and Biomedical Engineering
Queensland University of Technology
60 Musk Ave
Kelvin Grove QLD 4059 Australia
+61 7 3138 6443

This email and its attachments (if any) contain confidential information intended for use by the addressee and may be privileged. We do not waive any confidentiality, privilege or copyright associated with the email or the attachments. If you are not the intended addressee, you must not use, transmit, disclose or copy the email or any attachments. If you receive this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original email.