From: barrett (barrett_at_biop.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 10:07:33 CST

Hi

I want to make movies in VMD in "batch mode" i.e. using vmd -e [file].

I can do this successfully when I run VMD normally within X windows on
Linux.

However if I run "vmd -dispdev none ..." (which is important for what Im
trying to achieve) there is no screen for the snapshot renderer to get
its image from and the movie doesn't work.

I can successfully get around this by picking a ray tracing renderer,
e.g. tachyon but it is much much slower.

So the question is... can anyone advise me how to make movies quickly in
batch mode when -dispdev is set to none? E.g. is there a way of
rendering a snapshot of the non-existant window?(!)

Many thanks

Paul

Dr Paul Barrett
Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics