From: Joshua Anderson (joaander_at_umich.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2013 - 06:40:06 CDT

I don't think the distro meets your "ease of installation" requirement for the initial setup, but once you have a gentoo system running it is trivial to install nvidia drivers and VMD: `emerge nvidia-drivers vmd`. In other words, you can install these tools with the system package manager, and get all the benefits of that including updates when new releases are available.
--------
Joshua A. Anderson, Ph.D.
Chemical Engineering Department, University of Michigan