From: Jim Phillips (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 18:24:47 CST

Hi,

I'll answer this one before I leave for another week...

VMD transmits raw forces to NAMD, rather than an actual potential
function. Therefore, there is no energy term due to the applied forces
(although you will certainly see an increase in the other energies due to
the work you are doing on the system). If you pull hard enough, you
should definitely see the atoms you are pulling on react.

At some point it would be preferable for VMD to send a potential function,
because this would allow NAMD's conjugate gradient minimizer to work
properly with a haptic device (currently you need to use the older
"velocityQuenching on" option if you want minimization in IMD).

Happy (American) Thanksgiving, be back Monday.

-Jim