From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2013 - 15:25:03 CST

Hi,
  I would say that yes, head tracking (even non-3D) does generally give you
an improved feeling of depth perception. The usability of the head tracking
system has a lot to do with how much noise there is the orientation
data it feeds into the display algorithm, and how "smoothly" it updates
in general.

Along these lines, a recent NCSA Access magazine (Vol 25, No 3, Fall 2012,
pages 6-7, and 16-17) included an interactive Android application that
allowed you to display an HIV model exported from VMD in an
"augmented reality" mode using a phone with a camera. This is
conceptually quite similar to a head-tracked, but non-3D desktop display.
The AR application was developed by Daqri, and I thought that it worked
pretty well on my phone. The issue is posted on the NCSA web site here:
  http://gladiator.ncsa.illinois.edu/PDFs/access/fall12/access-fall12.pdf
  http://www.ncsa.illinois.edu/News/