From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2012 - 10:33:57 CDT

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Vikas Varshney <vv0210_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Axel,
> Thank you for your email and the suggestions.
>
> As you mentioned, I can load the dump file in the same molecule. That should
> not be a problem. About the coloring scheme, I want to calculate the
> distance between all bonding pairs (3 pairs) for certain atom and then use
> the largest distance among the three as the measure of the color of the
> atom.
>
> After reading your email, this is what I should be done. Please let me know
> if that makes sense.
>
> 1. Read the data file using topotools
> 2. Retrieve the bond information (Please let me know in which variable the
> list of lists for bonding information is stored).

you have to choose the variable.

set bondlist [topo getbondlist none]

https://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/software/topotools/topotools---documentation#TOC-getbondlist-type-order-both-none-

> Question: Is this list of lists based on the bond index (as in lammps)
> or for each atom (as in each sub-list contains information about all of its
> bonds)

no, the lammps bond index is lost. VMD stores bonds in a very peculiar format
that is optimized for fast display. you get a list where each entry has the
atom indices that form a bond.

> 3. If bond retrival list is like lammps (index based), Create a new list of
> lists for each atom bond (each sublist will contain information about one
> atom's bonding partners). Lets call this list bond3. This will be done only
> one time.

this information is readily available from VMD and how it stores the
bond information.
if that is what you are after, then you don't need topo getbonds, but
rather create
a selection for all atoms and then do

set bondlist [$sel getbonds]

in this case $bondlist will contain a list of lists with one entry per atom
where each entry is the list of bonding partners of this atom.

> 4. Then, for a certain frame, calculate the 3 distances for each atom (using
> bond3 list of lists). Get the magnitude of the longest bond. Then color that
> atom based on that distance.

yup.

> 5. Do this for each frame.
>
> Please let me know if you think is more appropriate. Thanks for your help.

with my proposed augmentations, that should work.

axel.