From: Marcos Ackel (mvackel_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2012 - 12:31:59 CDT

Hello Dr. Kohlmeyer, I've just finished building the LibNiFalcon.lib and the ICMS VPRN for Windows XP from the sources and using the instructions from your page. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing such great software. I've used MS Visual Studio 2010 and Boost 1.51 for building. The tests included in  the LibNiFalcon (version 1.0.1), mainly the "falcon_test_cli.exe" worked perfectly. Using the VRPN (I've applied the patches in the folder "libnifalcon-patchs"), the vrpn_server.exe gives some constant, repetitive errors: NovintFalcon #0 failed, trying to reset (Try power cycle if more than 4 attempts  made) Resetting the NovintFalcon #0 (attempt 1) Closing Falcon device 0. Trying to open Falcon device 0/1. Falcon Firmware already loaded. Falcon calibrated successfully. Move control all the way out until led turns green to activate device. (The Falcon led goes from green to red, and then blue. After moving control all the way out, it turns green again - as I think it should be). After some debugging, it seems that the function "get_status()" is returning false and causing the issue. I've changed the FALCON_NUM_RETRIES from 10 to 300 and it's more stable now, but of course this is not the solution. Do you have any clue about what may be causing this problem? I've noticed that when I start VMD, the error always occurs immediately. Also, after grabbing a molecule using the center button and keeping it pressed, the error does _not_ occur. Any clue would be of great help. Marcos Ackel