From: Joshua Anderson (joaander_at_umich.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2012 - 06:31:58 CDT

There is a "feature" in VMD where color by type only uses the first character of the type name to choose colors. Thus if you have one type named Bead and another Bob, they will be colored the same. One way around this is to create a different representation for each type and color by colorid (since the atom selection understands the full type name).
--------
Joshua A. Anderson, Ph.D.
Chemical Engineering Department, University of Michigan