From: Sam Wallace (sam.wallace_at_adelaide.edu.au)
Date: Sun Aug 26 2012 - 09:02:36 CDT

Hi Axel

Thanks for the reply.

I'm confident it's not the script I wrote, because I'm reproducing the
leaking handle behaviour simply by entering the commands in the
TkConsole
I load up a psf & trajectory

set sel1 [atomselect top "resname MOL"]
set sel2 [atomselect top "segname G3"]
measure gofr $sel1 $sel2 usepbc 1 first 0 last -1 delta 0.1 rmax 20
measure gofr $sel1 $sel2 usepbc 1 first 0 last -1 delta 0.2 rmax 20
measure gofr $sel1 $sel2 usepbc 1 first 0 last -1 delta 0.1 rmax 30
measure gofr $sel1 $sel2 usepbc 1 first 0 last -1 delta 0.1 rmax 30

each time I run the measure command, the number of handles used increases.
I checked what type they are using this handle tool
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655)
It's adding to thread handles count each time.

I have installed tcllib
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcllib/files/tcllib/1.14/) to add
some functions to the TkConsole. To eliminate that as a cause I tried
a clean install of VMD 1.9.1 (no cuda) on a different system running
windows 7. I loaded the same psf and trajectory file and performed the
same steps in the console. I monitored the handle count using
ProcessExplorer and found it increased each time I ran 'measure gofr'.
I've also tried different trajectory files. Each time the measure gofr
command increases the handle count.

It seems the number of thread handles used is 4 * number of frames
specified in measure command.

-Sam

Sam Wallace, Ph.D Student
School of Chemistry and Physics, University of Adelaide
Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
Phone: +61-(0)8-8303-4332
Fax: +61-(0)8-8303-4358
Email: sam.wallace_at_adelaide.edu.au
"I suppose you wouldn't have a problem with me saying the fermi-dirac
distribution is a soup kitchen"