From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2012 - 16:43:36 CDT

Ramon,
  Good to know that FLTK 1.3.0 worked for you. The VMD 1.9.1 builds
were done using FLTK version 1.1.10, except for the bleeding-edge
64-bit MacOS X builds, which had to use FLTK 1.3.0. If FLTK 1.3.0 is
working well for you, then you may want to try compiling VMD from source
using your FLTK 1.3.0 build and see how that does. The windows such
as the Tk console and various VMD plugins aren't using FLTK, but rather
the Tcl/Tk libraries, which have their own font handling which is
completely separate. I may get around to making new VMD test builds
that use later versions of FLTK in the next month or two if you want to
wait, but otherwise you can go ahead and build from source yourself.