From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 17 2012 - 10:16:40 CDT

> Thank you Dr.Kohlmeyer
>  But when I add FLTK to my configure line the "make" command doesn't work like before ending an error : "collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [vmd_LINUX] Error 1"

this is not the real error. the real error message

> I've installed all the required packages!

apparently not, or not in the right places,
or not of the right kind. i am no psychic,
so i don't know what exactly you did or
didn't and thus cannot tell whether it was
correct or not. i and many others have been
compiling VMD from source without a problem
over a long time, so chances are that it is
not an issue with VMD or its sources.

> the webpage* I'm being instructed suggests the mentioned configure option and says that I'm supposed to get 3 windows including the console.  * http://debianclusters.org/index.php/NAMD:_Building_vmd

however, the *authoritative* guide to compiling  and programming VMD is here:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/

i recommend you stick to that.

axel.

--