From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu May 10 2012 - 16:38:09 CDT

Hi,
  If your machine is crashing, it is not the fault of VMD.
Most likely you have a bug in your video driver, or you have
some kind of flaky hardware somewhere in your machine. It should
not be possible for any normal application to crash the computer.
I would suggest that you check to make sure you're using a current
graphics driver, and then if you still have trouble, you may want
to make sure that your computer isn't full of dust and overheating
your GPU or the CPU as a result.