From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 09:46:37 CDT

Dafydd,
  Disable the Axes display in VMD and that will eliminate some of the
performance issue: Display->Axes->Off. Apple's OpenGL implementation has
a performance problem with certain OpenGL calls, and we've made changes
to VMD 1.8.2 (to be released very soon now) which eliminate the observable
performance issues in VMD in all but a few cases. The older Macs didn't have
this problem, this is why people have been emailing about it only recently...

Thanks,