From: Aric Newton (agnewton_at_berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2012 - 10:27:38 CST

Axel,

I originally built the model in Materials Studio. I exported it as a
*.car/ *.mdf file pair; made a LAMMPS data file with the msi2lmp tool;
ran the simulation; and wrote an unscaled trajectory in the LAMMPS
(*.atom) format and an unwrapped trajectory in the GROMACS (*.xtc)
format.

I generated a *.psf from the lammps datafile and loaded the trajectories
(a different model for both trajectory formats). I can see the H-bonds
via the Graphical Representation> Hbonds and generate the data files and
a multiplot graph with the Analysis>Hydrogen Bonds extension. I do
still receive the "Warning) multiplot: Data vector empty, ignoring
plot!" message. I accept it as a warning not an error.

I assume that the tool is functioning as it should (input parameters at
the end). What I would like to ask is if either of the H-bonds methods
is calculating H-bonds across the periodic boundaries? I ask because
the anion starts in the center and during the trajectory migrates toward
the cell boundary. The output indicates that as the trajectory
progresses, the number of H-bonds decreases when the anion is near the
periodic boundary. The graphs of the H-bonds v. frames for the wrapped
and unwrapped trajectories are not equivalent, but the decrease in the
number of bonds is present in both (i.e. unwrapped atoms can't H-bond,
wrapped atoms can H-bond, but H-bonds can't cross the cell boundary).
Visually, the trajectory appears to confirm this (no H-bond
representations cross the boundary). Is this an artifact of the way that
I have loaded the trajectory or something the tool doesn't do?

Thank you,

Aric

Parameters used in the calculation of hydrogen bonds:
- Atomselection 1: resid 407
- Atomselection 2: not resid 407
- Update selections every frame: yes
- Initial frame: 0
- Frame step: 1
- Final frame: 5000
- Donor-Acceptor distance: 3.0
- Angle cutoff: 20
- Type: none
- Write a file with H bond/frame data: yes
- Filename: ohz_wrap_hbonds.dat

Printing frame/hbond data to file... Done.