From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2011 - 12:56:18 CST

I would guess that you are running low on available GPU memory.
You didn't say anything about what OS you're running, but the most
recent operating systems consume more GPU resources for desktop
window management than they used to, and this combined with the
need for GPU ram for each VMD instance may be running your new
laptop low on GPU memory, leading to some noticable performance
loss. Does the speed change if you resize the VMD windows to be small?