From: Bjoern Olausson (namdlist_at_googlemail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2011 - 18:26:50 CST

On Mon 07, Nov 11, 2011 14:15:19 Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Bjoern Olausson
>
> <namdlist_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi VMD users,
>
> hi bjoern,
>
> > I am wondering if it is possible to suppress all the "Info)" line VMD
> > throws at me when I run the following command from my TCL-Script
> >
> > mol new ${f} type {pdb} first 0 last -1 step 1 waitfor all
> > Info) Using plugin pdb for structure file candidate_50000_12606.pdb
> > Info) Using plugin pdb for coordinates from file
> > candidate_50000_12606.pdb Info) Determining bond structure from
> > distance search ...
> > Info) Finished with coordinate file candidate_50000_12606.pdb.
> > Info) Analyzing structure ...
> > Info) Atoms: 3321
> > Info) Bonds: 3353
> > Info) Angles: 0 Dihedrals: 0 Impropers: 0 Cross-terms: 0
> > Info) Bondtypes: 0 Angletypes: 0 Dihedraltypes: 0 Impropertypes: 0
> > Info) Residues: 206
> > Info) Waters: 0
> > Info) Segments: 1
> > Info) Fragments: 2 Protein: 2 Nucleic: 0
> >
> > Is there either a TCL trick to redirect the output to /dev/null or an
> > option I can pass to VMD to stop printing this stuff (turn it of
> > generally)?
> only if you are willing to compile a custom VMD executable for yourself.
>
> there is a feature called VMDCON in the VMD sources, that is normally
> not compiled
> into any VMD binaries that allows to set a loglevel (e.g. suppress
> Info) but not Warning))
> or redirection of all console messages to a Tk text widget (e.g. a separate
> read-only Log Window, or TkCon). for this to be 100% effective, though, all
> Tk/Tcl plugins need to be converted to use "vmdcon" instead of "puts" and
> similarly most molfile plugins need to be changed to use vmdcon_printf()
> instead of the regular i/o subroutines.

Aiii, ok, this seems a bit overpowerd :-)
I rewrote my script, appended an ID to the the output I am interested in and
run "vmd -e script | grep ID" (just for a visual control).

Thanks for your suggestion!

Cheers,
Bjoern

- --
Bjoern Olausson
Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
Fachbereich Biochemie/Biotechnologie
Kurt-Mothes-Str. 3
06120 Halle/Saale

Phone: +49-345-55-24942