From: Tristan Croll (tristan.croll_at_qut.edu.au)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2011 - 02:16:14 CDT

Hi,

My local IT guru and I have just spent the better part of a day banging our heads against a problem that has the same appearance as a previous one mentioned in the VMD list (starting at http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/16277.html). We'd connected a Novint Falcon, used the demo program to confirm it was working properly, and used the vrpn test programs to confirm that vrpn was communicating OK. Yet when we tried to connect through VMD, however, it refused to connect, with error messages identical to those described in the message I linked above.

Anyway, the problem was eventually (and rather bizarrely) solved by rolling our NVidia drivers back from 285.05.09-285.05.09-139.el6.x86_64 to 280.13-280.13-138.el6.x86_64.

Thought it was worth a mention, for weirdness if nothing else.

Cheers,

Tristan