From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_uhp-nancy.fr)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 09:04:01 CDT

Hi,

I had quite a hard time getting ATI's OpenGL acelerated drivers to work on my
Linux box (FireGL 8800 - ie Radeon 8500). Before that, VMD 1.8.1 worked fine
and slowly with Mesa rendering.

Now, I got hardware OpenGL, including in VMD :
Info) OpenGL renderer: Fire GL 8800 128MB DDR Athlon (3DNow!) (FireGL)
Info) Features: STENCIL RN MDE CVA MTX TCM PP
Info) Textures: 2-D (2048x2048), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (6)

But if I load a file with more than about 2500 or 3000 atoms, it crashes. (By
the way, how do you ask VMD for the full debug messages?). If I load a PSF,
toggle the display off and then load the coordinates, it works. Then, I can
progressively extend the number of displayed atoms, and at some point, it
crashes. If I represent a protein using "cartoons", I can go further and
successfully display more atoms.

Any idea on what's happening?

Jerome