From: Vlad Cojocaru (vlad.cojocaru_at_mpi-muenster.mpg.de)
Date: Sun May 15 2011 - 13:47:01 CDT

Dear Axel, Dear Olaf, Dear VMD users,

After all, with the posting it seems I opened a discussion that is far
more interesting than the job postings themselves.
All I can say at the moment, is that since I posted the position on the
lists (some days ago), I got more qualified applications than more than
a month before. However, I agree that many qualified MSc students are
probably not subscribed. On the oither hand, posting the job on
job-specialized sites results is a mountain of irrelevant applications.
So, the question is how do we reach the good candidates, especially
those of us who at the beginning of our academic careers ?

I can also say that there are many posts on the list(s) that are at
least as annoying as potential job opening posts. ...
Though, maybe those with new software versions I would not classify all
as "irrelevant". It depends on the software ...

To conclude, I think that it is not necessarily bad to have posts with
opening positions from time to time .. However, I would be the first to
support a ban on such posts if they become spam.

Regards,
Vlad

--
Dr. Vlad Cojocaru
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Biomedicine