From: Robert Wohlhueter (bobwohlhueter_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 09:27:34 CDT

I've been using VMD1.9beta3 my box (Ubuntu 10.04, AMD64-bit, with Nvidia
GTX 275 graphics, NVIDIA driver 260.19.36) successfully for a month
now. I thought I would do myself the favor of springing for a second
monitor. The dual screen layout set up smoothly in the NVIDIA S Server
Settings software, and works as expected for most routine purposes.

But when I now try to start VMD I get an "invalid window parameter
error", specifically:

Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.9beta3 (March 7, 2011)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 4 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 7283MB (91%)
Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...
Info) Detected 1 available CUDA accelerator:
Info) [0] GeForce GTX 275 30 SM_1.3 @ 1.44 GHz, 895MB RAM, KTO,
OIO, ZCP
XRequest.137: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 0x5200092
Info) OpenGL renderer: ErrorUnknown
Info) Features:
Info) GLSL rendering mode is NOT available.
Info) Dynamically loaded 2 plugins in directory:
Info) '/usr/local/bin/vmd-1.9/plugins/LINUXAMD64/molfile'.
vmd > Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.9beta3 (March 7, 2011)

This isn't a specific VMD problem; I get analogous errors also with
PyMol and Chimera. But I can glean no help from the web at large, so
thought I would see if other VMDers had had a similar problem. I'm
totally at a loss, and would appreciate any hints.

Bob Wohlhueter