From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 03 2011 - 07:05:39 CDT

francisco,

there is no need to spam the list with multiple posts in close succession.
give it at least a day or more until you repost. people live in different time
zones and mailing list servers need time to process e-mails. sometimes
more, sometimes less.

finally, before you do a repost because you didn't get a (quick) answer,
think about whether there would be a way that would make it easier for
people to answer. usually the success in getting a qualified and timely
answer is linearly proportional to the quality of the question and the
information provided.

thanks for your consideration. now on to the subject of your question.

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Francisco José Taberner Sanchis
<ftaberner_at_umh.es> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to VMD so I followed the tutorials, but now when facing my protein
> (a model) I found my first problem. When I try to represent cartoons vmd
> doesn´t draw what I expect in fact no cartoon are displayed. In addition
> when I go to the sequence viewer all the residues present the same secondary
> structure. I think that STRIDE is not working fine. How can I solve this
> problem.

it is very hard to tell what is going on without having the file at hand
(or at least part of it, if it is large) to test this.

the stride program is not overly forgiving, if its input data is not following
certain conventions, typically those of the PDB. it still has issues every
once in a while. the code appears to be unmaintained and so far nobody
could have been convinced to write a more robust and perhaps smarter
replacement code that can be more tightly integrated into VMD, too.

i suggest you watch your VMD console window for any error messages
or warning and see, if that tells you anything or provide a test example
that reproduces this unwanted behavior.

cheers,
    axel.

--