From: Aric Newton (agnewton_at_berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2010 - 09:16:30 CDT

Hi Axel,

Thank you for looking into the issues I was having with my input
files. I have replaced the mdfplugin and lammpsplugins. Upon VMD
start up, there is a message about these 2 new plugins (see below),
but otherwise all runs smoothly.
Found 2 plugins or data handlers in directory
        '/Users/agnewton/Applications/GeochemistrySoftware/VMD/VMD 1.8.7.app/
Contents/vmd/plugins/MACOSXX86/molfile'.

I have followed your recommendation and used the *.psf file that I
generated from the lammps data file and TopoTools and a *.dcd
formatted trajectory for visualization of my trajectories (I wrote
redundant simulation trajectories (a binary and ASCII text) as
insurance). Your attachments at the bottom anticipate the other
unspoken issue. Namely, that my bonds are wrapped around the periodic
boundaries when animating the trajectory. I've been able to unwrap
the trajectories in the past with the PBC tools (pbc unwrap), but as
you stated, it isn't very useful when trying to produce an animation
of the trajectory because the water and ions just wanders out of the
cell. I've been reading the documentation for the PBC tools and
thought that it would be possible (after unwrapping the trajectory
data) to selectively wrap the Na ions and the water molecules in the
image while avoiding bonds across the cell with something like pbc
wrap -sel (Na & H2O) -compound (H2O). I thought that the -compound
option would allow me to specify which atoms will not be wrapped if a
compound (the water) would be split by the wrapping. Your advice
suggests that I have misunderstood the description (I haven't tried
it) and that I should try another avenue (maybe a LAMMPS script to
"unwrap" the trajectory? It's an option when writing the LAMMPS
trajectory, maybe post-simulation, too?).

Thank you again for looking into this. I provided the above
description as background. I'll work on the issue myself and see if I
come up with a solution before posting anything to the list.

Thank you,

Aric