From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 17:20:21 CDT

Dear David, VMD-L,
  VMD 1.8.1 requires MacOS X 10.2 or newer.
I tried building some of the components that the new version of
VMD uses on MacOS X 10.1 but was never able to get Tk to work
correctly on 10.1. As a result, VMD 1.8.1 (the first version that
supports Tk on the Mac) requires that you be running MacOS X 10.2 or
later. This was a tough call in some ways, but we felt it was the
right move to include Tk in the new MacOS X version of VMD, even though
it meant that we couldn't support MacOS X 10.1 systems any more.
You can run VMD 1.8 on the older systems still, but its probably best
to consider getting the new version of MacOS X if possible, they've
made a lot of OpenGL improvments since MacOS X 10.1 came out, so its
a pretty good upgrade even for the older machines...

I'll be updating some of the web pages to make this requirement more
obvious in case it comes up again.

Thanks,